Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2016 16:35:31 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jasoncwells@fastmail.com>
To:        "Brandon J. Wandersee" <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Label Ambiguity

On 10/15/2016 4:16 PM, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:
> Jason C. Wells writes:
>
>> Let's say I have three disks and each of them has a partition labelled
>> "volume3" i.e.  /dev/ufs/volume3.
>>
>> How can I determine which of those is currently mounted?
>>
>> How does the system determine which of those to mount at boot time?
> Short answer: Don't do this.

OK. So the device renumbering problem has been traded for a naming
ambiguity problem. I didn't realize this when I first came upon my
naming convention for filesystems.  I'll start keeping track of my
"volumeX" names and make them unique. I just got lucky that I didn't
mount the wrong disks over the course of the last few weeks.

Maybe I'll just use UUIDs everywhere. Those are easy to remember. :)

Thanks,

Jason C. Wells