Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:51:37 -0400
From:      "Shane Crounse" <scc4809@it.rit.edu>
To:        security@Freebsd.org
Subject:   IP Sharing on a College campus.  Firewall??

Here is my dilemma. I am a student on a college campus. RIT if you
couldn’t tell.
I am in an apartment that has access to the school network.  My problem is
that I am limited in the number of IP addresses I can have. (one or two)
I have my windows 2k workstation, and at least 3 FreeBSD machines that I
would like to put on the network.  Last year I did it using windows IP
sharing but I had all windows machines.  Is there some way of doing IP
sharing through one of the BSD machines?  Would you suggust a firewall?  I
know that I will be regularly scanned by students.  Hack attempts will
occur.  Anybody got any ideas?

I appreciate the assistance in advance.

- I would need to be able to run, SSH, SFTP, FTP, HTTP minimally from all
the machines.

-Shane Crounse

Department of Information Technology
Rochester Institute of Technology