Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:36:39 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox 45.0 (latest build) hangs, what kind of trace helps ?

--=-=-=

Kurt Jaeger <pi@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Approx. 24h ago I upgraded firefox on my home.opsec.eu desktop
> to 45.0 and it twice hang (no window updates anymore).

I did a number of changes that may impact stability recently. It would
help if you provide more details like:
=2D release/architecture tuple
=2D PORTREVISION
=2D selected options (all or against default)
=2D gtk and glib version installed
=2D which plugins are installed
=2D graphics and plugin/ipc stuff from about:support=20
=2D whether sdt.ko (dtrace) is loaded
=2D whether dbus and pulseaudio daemons are running

> Is there a trace/debugging hint that helps you and the gecko team
> to debug this ?

Try

  $ procstat -k $(pgrep firefox)

  $ ktrace firefox -no-remote -profile $(mktemp -d)
  <wait for hang>
  ^C
  $ kdump -R | tail -20

  $ lldb -p $(pgrep firefox)
  (lldb) bt all

If it's busy wait

  $ kldload hwpmc
  $ pmcstat -t firefox -P instructions -T

(the rest I don't remember ;)

=2D-
To get useful stacktraces build with STRIP=3D (empty) in make.conf or
enable one of DEBUG, DTRACE, PROFILE options. Beware, DEBUG builds may
have a set of their own issues. Library dependencies need to be rebuilt
with at least non-debug symbols as well.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--