Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:08:58 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: glabel "force sectorsize" patch

On 8.8.2010 14:57, Marius NĂ¼nnerich wrote:

> I do not like this at all. Even if it's just for the KISS and POLA
> principles. A geom should do one thing and do it right imo.

As the addition will not modify general behaviour of glabel but add a
new feature (which is actually clean and trivial to implement) invisible
to most of the users, I don't think either KISS nor POLA are in any
danger here.

I do agree that it shouldn't be glabel's job to do this but also am
*very* strongly against shipping 9.0 without any support for 4k drives,
and the way I've chosen is the lesser of two evils.

Code and patches by others are of course welcome. I'm hoping this
discussion will trigger someone with experience in the lower levels of
kernel to go and finally add the drive info parsing so it gets solved
the right way :)

> Why not write a new geom class that does what you want?

I'm not against this approach also. Technically, if we go this way, the
new GEOM class will be almost a line-for-line copy-paste of glabel with
this single metadata field added, so I'd rather fold it into glabel.