Date:      10 Mar 2002 01:53:51 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rejecting spam, accepting valid mail (was: Mail blocked)
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <3cg03ccef4.03c@localhost.localdomain> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307221616.00cb9980@nospam.lariat.org> <20020308190102.B679@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <d1lmd1dwzm.md1@localhost.localdomain> <3C8B01B9.D7BE84DC@mindspring.com>

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> "Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> >
> >   defraud, tr.v., To take from or deprive of by fraud; to swindle.
> >
> > Or see http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=defraud
>
> Actually, his use of the term is correct, as it applies to
> the fields being interpreted as claims of identity, as far
> as U.S. wire fraud statutes are concerned.
>
> One of the original crackdowns on crackers, and one that is
> still used today as one of the charges against them, is
> wire fraud, by claiming a fradulent identity, when providing
> the identity to a remote system.

That's interesting, as it implies that there are hundreds of thousands
of federal criminals (eg, a big % of usenet posters and hotmail/yahoo
users) running free.  It's worth looking into, though, I suppose.

But I'm not certain that the law is using the same meaning of "fraud" as
you and Greg; it has several meanings, only one of which means a simple
use of false identity.  The other meanings are along the lines of THE
ONLY dictionary-meaning of "defraud", which has a necessary "in the
cause of committing theft" component.  To accuse someone of defrauding
people is to accuse him of being a thief.  (To accuse someone of being
a fraud, COULD mean only that he's not using a real identity, though
it could easily be misunderstood as calling him a thief too.)

I suspect that the Feds claim of "fradulent identity" involves some
round-the-barn consideration that the false identity was used in an
attempt to steal in some sense.  They can probably even make it strech
to fit almost every case, by considering a few wasted electrons or
something and some implied contract that you're offered the use of a web
form in exchange for entering valid info and entering invalid info is
somehow stealing the use of the form.

In your last-mentioned case of "fradulent identity", it is used to
obtain (what most will agree would be) stolen services and so such
crackers ARE defrauding the remote system.  Maybe the argument (Greg's?)
would be that if he puts up a message ID filter, and I happen to slip
past it (or only if I intend to or am aware of his filter, maybe?), then
I'm using his electrons against his will and thus stealing from him.  I
supposed it'd probably win in some courts.  A few more scary thoughts
like this and the lawsuit stuff that shows up on Slashdot, and I'm apt
to return to a life without the Internet.  Do they still have libraries?