Date:      25 Mar 1999 13:45:10 -0500
From:      Andrew Hobson <ahobson@eng.mindspring.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:33:39 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> said:

>     Provisioning for administrative accounts is easy.  We do it by hand.
>     Most employees only have access to one administrative machine.  Employees
>     are given access to other peripheral machines depending on their job.
>     Except for the one employee machine, these accounts do not have home
>     directories and the password field is '*' ( i.e. kerberos/ssh-only
>     access ).  Access is controlled through kerberos.

At work we have about a hundred machines and we access them via
kerberos.  Admins have accounts on all boxes.  If we need to add or
remove a user, it's a bit of a pain to manually update the password
file on every machine.

We're a bit concerned about doing it automatically, because if
something goes wrong, /etc/passwd might be corrupted or nonexistant.
I'm not a big fan of NIS.

I'm sure we can come up with an automated solution that will be
reasonably safe, but I was wondering how other people solved this
problem.

Drew