Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:17:44 -0700
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        Bernard A Doehner <bad2@rfc.comm.harris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another possibility... dual Pentium Pro 200's with 512K or 1M cache.

First off, Pentium Pros require ATX cases (at least all of the PPros of
which I am aware use ATX cases), not AT cases.  Also, all of the PPro mobos
of which I am aware (I am no connosieur of PPro mobos, but I do have one,
and have seen some others) use DIMMs, not SIMMs.  My mobo requires 3.3
volt, buffered, ECC EDO DIMMs, which are getting more and more rare.  I
want to buy more while they can still be found.

In addition, the days of a few months back of relatively cheap PPros are
essentially over.  I paid $94 apiece for my two 256k 180 MHz PPros six or
eight months back, and I just saw that the cheapest these can be had today
is something like $125 or more.  I just checked, and real 200 MHz PPros,
even the 256k ones, start at $300 from the cheapest sites listed on
www.pricewatch.com.  The 512k 200 MHz PPros I saw listed for a minimum of
$899 on pricewatch.  I saw the lowest price on 1 MB 200 MHz PPros listed as
$1299.  These are probably outdated prices, but people aren't really buying
these things anymore, so the price lists aren't really being actively
maintained.

Now, you could probably find some of these chips in private hands, whose
owners would be willing to sell them to you for a lot less.  I don't think
it would be worth it.

My dual 180 MHz PPro system (which I run at 200 MHz) was a kickass deal
when I put it together eight months ago.  Today, you are better off just
buying two PII 350s for $200 each or so, and an ASUS P2B-D to run them on.
That will be a great system, and significantly more powerful than a dual
PPro.  You would probably pay a little more for it than I paid at the time,
but get a much faster system.

That said, if you make me an offer on my Intel PR440FX dual PPro mobo (with
included 64 MB EDO DIMM and two 180 MHz PPros that is good enough that for
just a little more of my own dough I can turn around and buy two PII 350s
and an ASUS P2B-D, I'd be happy to sell them to you. ;-)

Seth