Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 07:23:03 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        x5gb7uk9@wna-linknet.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: homenetwork

At 11:00 PM -0500 5/9/98, Arnold J. Rimmer wrote:
>i am trying to setup a 2 box network in my home with the object of using
>the freebsd box as a gateway for a dialup internet connection. i have
>followed the instructions in the ppp tutorial. the second box is
>running  windoze nt 4.0 and each box has an smc 8416 ethernet card on
>isa bus.
>each box seems to be setup properly, but they do not acknowledge each
>others existence. ping to localhost and hostname work on each end, but
>ping from freebsd box to windoze box results: host is down. ping from
>windoze box to freebsd box results: timed out. i have even checked the
>cable for breaks...none.
>
>any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

What is the physical medium (ethernet, I presume)?
What have you configured as the IP and netmask on each end?

What does "ifconfig -a" show?
How about "arp -a"?

With some additional info, I may be able to help.

Reply directly (not to the list) since I am sure that, at this point, others
will not care about the details.

Richard Wackerbarth