Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:01:17 -0800
From:      Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@mass.dis.org
Subject:   Re: Found NFS data corruption bug... (was Re: NFS: How to make FreeBSD   fall on its face in one easy step )

At 5:22 PM -0800 12/15/01, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    Ho!  Will do.  I'm going to try to speed things up a bit by
>    having the NFS server export an MFS filesystem.
>
>					-Matt

Two things I've done to speed it up are to restrict the size of transfers
(use the -o flag) and eliminate all the size checks (use the -n flag).

Why would MFS be much faster than UFS?  On the server doesn't the whole
file end up cached?  ...and the metadata changes likewise via softupdates.

Running fsx during resource shortages (low memory or buf structs) has
exposed a bug or two.

Running it with operations 512 or page aligned also exposed bugs - see
usage for  those flags.

Note that if you get a failure at operation 50 million there is an fsx flag
which allows you to restart at, say, 49 million.  Of course some failures
don't reproduce reliably at the same spot anyway.

I gave out fsx source code at the recent CIFS (SMB) plugfest.  If I make
the 2002 Connectathon I'll give it out there too.  I don't test it on
Windows so those defines may be in need of repair.  Please send me any
patches or cool additions.

--
Conrad Minshall, conrad@apple.com, 408 974-2749
Apple Computer, Mac OS X Core Operating Systems