Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 07:52:56 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matt Behrens: Re: kernel compile problem

At 6:16 AM -0500 6/4/98, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>Are -current config required to be able to config -stable, or is this
>capability just an accident?  I'm discussing some changes with rkw,
>and knowing whether this is an invariant would be very useful :-)

I wouldn't call it "an accident" any more than the fact that Perl5
can handle many, but not all, Perl4 scripts.

I think that it is unreasonable to demand backward compatability.
If you are compiling 2.x, you should use the tools that go with it.

This is similar to the problems in shared libraries. When the interface
to a library changes, the new version may, or may not, still work with
code that expects the older interface. If the code needs the older
interface, you should either continue to use the older library or
modify the code to meet the newer interface.

I certainly think that we need to make the building (or verification)
of the tool a part of the Makefile dependencies.

Richard Wackerbarth