Date:      18 May 2000 18:10:45 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: Sun DDS2 tape changer

On Thu, 18 May 2000 12:06:20 -0500 (CDT), "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com> said:

Paul> Hi all, I found a discarded Sun DDS2 tape changer in a box in my
Paul> lab and want to use it to replace my DDS1 unit on my server.

The ones I've seen have a front panel that looks a lot like the Python
I have.

Paul> 	Anyway, I put it on my 3.4 test system, and tried to compile
Paul> up Amanda 2.4.0-p1, finding that there has been no work on
Paul> integrating CAM into it.  Anybody done any work on this?

I had Amanda-2.4.1 running on 3.4 quite happily, except for the bug in
the chg-chio script (search teh archives, it's an extra perl print to
STDERR).  I built it from ports.

I'm now using it under 4.0-STABLE.

Paul> 	Without physically pushing the button on the drive, how can I
Paul> get it to go get the next tape? Either having amanda do it
Paul> itself or an mt/ioctl call is fine. I've got a Exabyte changer
Paul> on my Sun that I've never gotten around to integrating into
Paul> amanda.

Check the "chio" command. You'll have to build the "ch" device into
your kernel.

Paul> 	My 3.4 system identifies it as follows:
Paul> <ARCHIVE Python 02636-XXX Paul>

Cool, so it is a Python. Should be no problems once you add "ch" to
your kernel, get a more modern Amanda, and comment out the STDERR line
from chg-chio.