Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:15:16 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap

Robert Bonomi <bonomi <at> mail.r-bonomi.com> writes:

> > > FALSE TO FACT.
> >
> > No way. UNIX command (on a command line, also called CLI), is anything
> > between prompt
>
> *NOBODY* said "Unix command".  _You_ falsely imputed that meaning to
> the respondants use of the word in a context with a different applicable
> meaning.
>
> 'command' has many meanings -- *especially* in the Unix environment.
>
> [drivelectomy]
>
> You persist in repeating your error.

Well, yes - CLI applies to many environments (not only OSs), with the same
basic format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface
The general pattern of an OS command line interface is:
prompt command param1 param2 param3 ... paramN
A simple CLI will display a prompt, accept a "command line" typed by the user
terminated by the Enter key, then execute the specified command and provide
textual display of results or error messages. Advanced CLIs will validate,
interpret and parameter-expand the command line before executing the specified
command, and optionally capture or redirect its output.
Command prompt
Arguments
Command-line option

Examples:
- OSs (e.g. UNIX)
  $ portsnap fetch update
- database and/or languages environments (e.g. SQL)
  sql > select <fields> from <table>
- applications (e.g. reservation system)
  > pax dl123/12augdis
  which means:
  display a list of passengers
  for flight DL123, departing on 12 Aug, out of DIS (Disney Land)

So, we are discussing here things that are obvious.
People who write technical or user manuals should have a clue of what they are
writing and talking about (e.g. what is "a command", also called "an entry").
Otherwise they screw up the users and "it's a software error" sysadmins.
jb