Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:40:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      serges@umr.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

> > I have a 486dx2/66 with 32 Megs of ram, and a 32 meg swap partition.
> > When I was using 2.0 (CD) i rarely ever went into swap.  I could make a
> > port, and run netscape under X and still not hit swap.
> >
> > Now with 2.0.5, it seems very eager to start swaping.  In fact, with the
> > above, it goes into 45% or more swap.  This sucks to say the least.  My
> > machine is trashing big time when this happens.  Is anyone familiar with
> > this?  Is there a fix?  I know swaping was changed in 2.0.5, but I heard
> > it was for the better, not the worse.....
> >
> > Any suggestions, comments, are most welcome.
> >

> Since both the kernel and the user-land has changed, it is difficult for
> a user to be able to determine where the problem is.  The kernel itself
> does swap better.  There are some very limited cases where it *might* be
> worse on 2.0.5, but I don't think that you are exercising those mechanisms.

Well I dont know what those "mechanisms" are and I (unlike the original
poster) cant compare 2.0.5 with a previous version of FreeBSD, but I can
say that I experience excessive swapping on my system. I have a 486DX50
with 20 megs of core and ~20 megs of swap space. With a minimal X
desktop with Netscape and 2 xterms running I can *easily* exhaust the virtual
memory on my system! This is ofcourse, after running Netscape (or xv) for
a long time (> 1hour continuous use). I usually have to kill the server
and restart things.

I can understand that the server grows, thanks to memory leaks in X11
itself, but I dont understand why the 2.0.5 system begins swapping
*before* the core resources are even 50% in use. Coming from a SVR4
background on Intel machines, I find it a hassle to watch as all of my
xterms slowly redraw themselves as they are swapped back in to core -
after I briefly switch back from another application.

And I dont think its solely the fault of the clients and their real or
virtual sizes. I feels more like a scheduling design at fault here. But
Im speaking as a user (of Unices on many different platforms), and not a
kernel programmer.

Serge
serges@umr.edu