Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 21:36:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS basics?

> As Karl Denninger, MCSNet wrote:
>
> > Possible?  Tutorials anywhere?  Where do I get the list of collections and
> > common commands?
>
> dump 0 ...
> setenv CVSROOT ...
> cd /usr
> rm -rf src
> cvs co src
> cd src/sys/...
> (create new kernel, and see whether it will boot)
> cd /usr/src
> make world
>
> This should help upgrading, but it might fall apart somewhere in the
> make world, so you have to bootstrap something manually, and continue
> to build.

Ok, what I've learned so far in this process (its not done yet; even a P200
isn't instantaneous :-)

> dump 0 ...

(really good idea)

> setenv CVSROOT ...
> cd /usr
> rm -rf src
> cvs co src

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
make install

> cd src/sys/...
> (create new kernel, and see whether it will boot)

MAKE SURE to exclude the EISA bus from this kernel, OR IT WILL NOT LINK.
You will also have to create empty "opt_*.h" files as required.

> cd /usr/src
> make world

Now I'm getting hung up in here with problems in the "ld" commands in the
lib area... this is getting to be fun!..

-- Karl