Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:16:38 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami), andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/xv Makefile

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

> > I can change bsd.port.mk to keep the list of ports actually built
> > because of dependencies, but is this really worth it?
>
> Naw, I'd say just chain the clean.

What about something like having the make process set some make variable to
the starting directory (only if it doesn't inherit a value for it), then put
the contents of that variable in the work directory of all of the ports that
get built (e.g. in one/some of the .*-done files?). Then when you do the clean
target you compare the current "starting directory" with the one that's in the
work directory of the port to decide whether or not removing the work files is
appropriate....

1) if "current starting directory" == "this port's directory", then remove it.
   That is, if I'm in graphics/jpeg and I type 'make clean', then
   graphics/jpeg will be cleaned, regardless of what the "previous starting
   directory" was. This also implies that a 'make clean' in graphics would
   force a 'make clean' in ALL subdirectories.

2) if "current starting directory" == "previous starting directory", then
   remove it. That is, if I'm in graphics/xv and I type 'make clean', I only
   remove files in graphics/jpeg if its previously saved starting directory
   value is graphics/xv.

Boy...those words sound more complicated than the thoughts from which they
are translated...maybe you get the idea? Or maybe the whole problem is too
minor to worry about coming up with a coding solution for? (instead of just
documenting that ports hackers should hack somewhere else).

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org