Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:50:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

I suspect that there IS some other problem, and it is/was with cvsup.
I don't know why or how or if I contributed to it:-)

I too had a screwed-up tree a few weeks ago. My tree was set up to point to
my 2.2.1R cdrom using lndir and after a few cvsup runs, make world bombed.
I found that if I simply removed the offending section of the tree and reran
cvsup, which checked out the missing items, that problem went away.
Other problems appeared later in make world.

I finally blew away the entire tree and /usr/sup and started over. No further
make world problems have been experienced (so far).

I have also experienced Tcl/Tk problems that were definitely caused by
incompatibilities between the base release version and the various versions
brought in as part of the 'ports' process. There are bad problems with this,
as the versions have different include files, are loaded in different locations,
etc. etc.  It is only a suggestion, but I think that the ports process
needs the capability to specify/look for a 'minimum release version' for a
dependant package, rather than an absolute.  For example if a port requires
Tcl-4.1 and Tcl-4.2 exists, then it should not find it necessary to load
Tcl-4.1 on top of everything, but carry on using the later version.

Regards,
Tom