Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 14:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vaio modem sound

sony vaio 505tx
3.1-release+pao

>> works just fine except i can not get sound.  hence my question.
> Hmmm, have you tried ATM1 to turn the sound on?

yup.  the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf entry has
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1M1L2Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 90 CONNECT"

> Also, some pccard bridge chipsets tweak things so that the sound from the
> sound pin on the pccard is transmitted to the internal speaker.  I know
> that this isn't the problem in this case since the modem isn't in a pccard
> slot, but if the ATM doesn't work, then that might be something to look
> into.

atm seems fine.  zzz ok.  fn-f12 hybernate ok.  screen-dim on timer ok.  ...

my unsolved problems are:
  o WaveLAN PCMCIA, 915Mhz and 2.4GHz
  o how to get modem sound to work.  this is especially frustrating as i
    roam to really strange places (last week was vienna and the uk) and
    need to tune dialing commas and the like.
  o how to get luigi's sound drivers up

randy