Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:54:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        mranner@netway.at
Cc:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sppp problems (was: A new prob with 3.2R and 0.83 Was: 14b L2 and L3 errors)

Michael Ranner wrote:

> config says JAWA:268: unknown option "SPPP_VJ"
>
> I checked my options files in i386/conf and i4b.0.03/FreeBSD/*.cat
> an cant find a option for SPPP_VJ!

In case you want to enable VJ header compression support for the isp
interfaces, you have to put "options SPPP_VJ" into your kernel
config file and you will get a _warning_ as described above because
sppp does not include an options file (yet).

The SPPP_VJ option is a bit experimental and there seems to be a great
confusion about i4b's sppp and the native sppp and i4b's spppcontrol
and the native spppcontrol.

Because of this confusion and the fact that even NetBSD and OpenBSD
have adopted different/similar sppp versions, it is very likely that
the next i4b will have an own i4bsppp and an own i4bspppcontrol.

(now i already start to hear all sorts of people screaming "no, no, don't
 do that because the sky will fall down to earth and all sort of sh**
 will happen when you do that!" - before screaming, please ask yourself
 if you would like to take over the task of enshuring to make all
 BSD versions of sppp look and function the same and enshure that
 new code, fixes and functionality are available on all BSD's at
 the same time.
 In case you say "yes, i'd like to do that", i'll be the first to
 remove sppp from the i4b distribution and hand you out a set of
 features and fixes i'd like to see asap there. And be assured that
 i will scream "the sky will fall down to earth and all sort of sh**
 will happen when i don't get consistency asap!" ;-)
).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...