Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:10:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org (Wolfgang Zenker)
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup stable-supfile does not update GENERIC (and others) kernel?

Hello,

> Sorry if I mis-understood.

no problem. Happens to all of us sometimes, I guess.

Maybe one source of misunderstandig is that there are several things
called "GENERIC". The file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC is NOT a
"kernel", but a "kernel config file". A kernel config file specifies which
subsystems/drivers/etc. are to be built into a kernel that is compiled
using this config file. A kernel built using the "GENERIC" config file
is called a "GENERIC" kernel. Such a kernel is used e.g. on the install
CDs you can buy or download.
The GENERIC _file_ is treated by cvsup like any other source file: it is
changed on your system when it has been changed on the server.
The GENERIC _kernel_ is not touched by cvsup in any way. It is rebuilt
when you use "make kernel" without specifying a KERNCONF or KERNCONF=GENERIC

> I also see in A Anderson's book FreeBSD - An Open Source Operating
> System for you Personal Computer, pg 341 step 5:

> "Type cd /sys/i386/conf and cp GENERIC MYKERN. Edit this new copy of
> GENERIC called MYKERN, making the same kind of changes described in the
> previous chapter... <snip>

> so it's best to start with a copy of the new GENERIC as a base rather
> than your old config file."

> She mentions / suggests here that there should be a new copy of GENERIC
> listed in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf for me to use for producing the new
> kernel in step 7:-

As I read the text you quoted, she suggests to copy the file GENERIC to
MYKERN. This makes MYKERN a new copy of GENERIC.

> make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> make installkernel KERNCONF-MYKERN

There seem to be a few minor errors here: "make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERN"
would actually build AND install a new kernel using the config file
named MYKERN. If you want to do it in two seperate steps, it would be
 make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
 make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
(Note there is a "=" instead of "-" in the installkernel line and I
used MYKERN everywhere instead MYKERN in one line and MYKERNEL in the other).

Wolfgang