Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:38:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org (Wolfgang Zenker)
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large port updates

Hello,

> Is there a "best practice" for automated updating large number of
> interdependant ports? [..]

> What about ports that have dialog boxes which require user intervention?

you can use /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to tell portupgrade which options
to use when upgrading a certain port. I usually check the makefile of ports
I want to install for necessary defines and set these together with
"BATCH=YES" in pkgtools.conf, then use portinstall to install the port and
check if it honors the BATCH=YES.

Wolfgang