Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 01:18:44 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI questions

paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com> writes:

> I have an AHA-2940 card installed, and the kernel sees it just fine
> using the ahc driver. The drive gets power and seems to work. My problem
> seems to be setting the jumpers for the drive to be seen by the card. it
> could also be an issue with how the card is configured in its BIOS (I'm
> looking at Adaptec's site now to see what I can find out there).

> (probe2:ahc0:0:2:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
> SEQADDR == 0x15c

Check cabling and termination. Either physical end of the cable must be
terminated (two ends), no Y cabling, at least one termination power must
be provided, and the cable must not be too long.

Try downloading installation guides from Adaptec and see if they
help. Otherwise, look at SCSI HOWTOs (Linux HOWTOs will also be fine
when it comes to the hardware itself).

--
Matthias Andree