Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:14:10 +0200
From:      "Jose M Rodriguez" <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        "Mike Makonnen" <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcNG problems on RELENG_5

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:14:16 +0300, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:13:53PM +0200, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the way of make /etc/rc.d/xdm operative to lanunch
>> Xorg/gdm/kdm/xdm
>> from rc.
>>
>> I now have a working patch, but I have to change the name of the script
>> from xdm to 0xdm.
>>
>> The reason seems to be a lot of BEFORE: tags missing. At last, several
>> IMHO important 'BEFORE: LOGIN' ones.
>>
>> This is a known issue?
>
> What's the issue? The LOGIN script is there so that user logins and other
> initiated actions do not occur untill the system is almost fully started.
> What's the problem and how is this related to the xdm/getty issue?
>
> Cheers.

There is a last process in the rc boot: init that launch gettys via
/etc/ttys.
xdm really needs gettys running when it comes up, this is a race condiction
between xdm an init.

I've got problems with this since /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh hit the
tree.  With
/etc/rc.d/xdm is even worse.

rcGN really lacks BEFORE tags that isolates a 'near last' stage where just
that things with gettys race problems lives. ¿Why to Solve?

- By a new 'syncpoint' before LOGIN and moving to this all those things
that are run at LOGIN and _not_ related to gettys or similar.

- By a a new 'syncpoint' after login (LAST?) that make possible put things
for run really as the very last of rcorder.

After renaming xdm to 0xdm, my race problems gone away, but I thing this
must be take in account for rcNG developpment.

--
   josemi