Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:29:18 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrading to bind-8.2.3

I just received a security notice about a really nasty worm that is
using a hole in bind to infect Linux boxes.

>Late last night, the SANS Institute (through its Global Incident
>Analysis Center) uncovered a dangerous new worm that appears to be
>spreading rapidly across the Internet.  It scans the Internet looking
>for Linux computers with a known vulnerability. It infects the
>vulnerable machines, steals the password file  (sending it to a
>China.com site), installs other hacking tools, and forces the newly
>infected machine to begin scanning the Internet looking for other
>victims.
>
>Several experts from the security community worked through the night to
>decompose the worm's code and engineer a utility to help you discover
>if the Lion worm has affected your organization.
>
>Updates to this announcement will be posted at the SANS web site,
>http://www.sans.org

So, it seems like a Good Idea to upgrade my copy of bind (:-).  I
pulled down the port for bind-8.2.3-REL and it seems to build just
fine.  Before I install it, however, I thought I'd ask if anyone
has run into installation and/or configuration issues.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.
http://www.cfcl.com/Meta/md_fb.html - The FreeBSD Browser