Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:01:04 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        usebsd@free.fr (mouss), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: [kernel patch] fcntl(...) to close many descriptors

At 7:03 PM -0800 1/28/01, Matt Dillon wrote:
>Luigo wrote:
>: do we have (or could we design) a generic mechanism for
>: machine-specific syscalls which are not available on all OS ?
>:
>: basically i am thinking of something like
>:
>:	generic_syscall("fdcloseall", ....);
>:
>: In this way it would be clear what the non-portable pieces of code
>: are, and the mechanism would be extensible with no changes to
>: libraries and syscalls. You could even have dynamically-loaded
>: modules implementing new "syscalls".
>:
>:	cheers
>:	luigi
>
>   There is work going on for the AIX equivalent using fcntl().
>   We should not create a syscall (it's unnecessary)... if you
>   want a fdcloseall() function call, it should be in libc and
>   use the fcntl.

Note that Luigi was asking for a generic syscall mechanism, and
was only using fdcloseall as an example of how that might be
used.  [it was I who made the mistaken-assumption that any
closeallfds routine would be somewhere in the kernel.  I have
no idea why I thought that...]

>   I would support one or the other, but not both.  I'd recommend
>   the AIX fcntl API, since it's been around a whole lot longer.
>
>						-Matt

Mouss <usebsd@free.fr> mentioned that NetBSD has a closeall
function in it's libc, and it sounded like he was going to
mimic that instead of the fcntl change.  If I were going to
mimic something, I'd rather mimic netbsd than some feature
which exists only in AIX.  And as I mentioned in my previous
message, I think the AIX strategy warps the definition of
the fcntl routine, so I was not too fond of it even if there
hadn't been any BSD-based alternative to follow.