Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:33:37 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any troff wizards out there?

I am using the troff MS macros to generate the front matter for the DOSSIER
volumes.  I use the XA macro to create table of contents entries, as:

.XA 10
\fCcpp(1:RedHat/cpp)\fR
      check out RCS revisions
.XA 11
\fCctm(1:FreeBSD)\fR
      source code mirror system

Each entry contains two lines.  The first line consists of a name (e.g., cpp)
and a parenthesized designation.  The second line contains an (indented)
description.  So far so good; everything prints as desired:

      cpp(1:RedHat/cpp)
        check out RCS revisions .    .    .    .    .    .    .   10

Except that the two lines do not always stay together at the end of a page.

It's been suggested to me that I use the .ne troff command.  Our resident
troff "expert" says this is beyond her.  She thinks we need to modify the
.XA macro to "do the right thing".  Keeps (as in "keep this line with
next") are created from  scratch under troff -ms (there is no keep
command, per se) using diversions.

Help??

-r
--