Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:39:49 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com, mhagerty@voyager.net
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

At 4:31 PM -0400 6/16/01, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>Feel free to post a benchmarking procedure that would let one
>person produce fair results. Results ought to be reproducable:
>you, I, and an NT kernel developer all get the same answers.

Nice ideal.  Hard to imagine it happening any time soon.  All
of these OS's have their tricks when installing, and the person
who "knows" the OS thinks nothing of those "simple" tuning issues.
The person who doesn't "know" the OS wouldn't have a clue about
the tuning.

I have the feeling that this thread isn't going to generate
much useful info, if the debate is going to include quasi-
trolls like that.

Mind you, I do agree that it would be very nice if we ["the
industry"] could figure out benchmarking tactics which did
not depend on the knowledge level of the person doing the
benchmark.  It would also be really nice to see lasting
peace in every corner of the globe, but that also isn't
going to happen without divine intervention.  Getting back
to benchmarks, the problem is that as soon as someone designs
a benchmark, some members of the competition (the "competition"
in whatever field is being benchmarked) sits down and figures
out how to "look good on that benchmark".

>So every FreeBSD server requires an expensive admin to tune it?
>That Win2K solution is looking good now. :-)

We have windows servers here at RPI.  They require expensive
admins too.  We're putting up an exchange server right now,
and it's requiring more time, effort and resources to set up
correctly than just about anything we've ever put up in
Unix-land - even though some of our recent hires include good
people who have a lot of experience with Windows (and almost
none with Unix...).

I am sure that for SOME companies in SOME environments, Win2K
is setup "right for them" right out of the box.  However, that
does not hold true for all companies, all environments, or all
usage-patterns.  It just does not universally apply.

Again, this seems more like a troll than any serious or even
realistic discussion of the issues.  My guess is that nothing
much good is going to come from this thread, at the rate it's
going.