Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:43:05 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-print@bostonradio.org
Subject:   Re: small bug in lpc's interactive mode when performing "restart all"

At 12:46 PM +0200 9/15/01, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>If I use the interactive mode of lpc, then I get the syslog
>message:
>
>Sep 15 12:44:12 titan lpd[6598]: unknown printer: xterm
>
>root@titan[ttyp2]{102} ~ lpc
>lpc> restart all
>xterm:
>	cannot open lock file
>xterm:
>	couldn't start daemon
>     [...etc...]

In a follow up message to me, Andreas writes;
>After digging around more ... seems to be a csh/tcsh configuration
>problem, since ...
>
>su - toor, which uses /bin/sh, doesn't show this effect.
>
>Hmm, a tcsh without my own .cshrc and .login doesn't have this
>problem as well. It's not in .login .. its in .cshrc.
>Well, have to go to bed now, seems to be my roots environment :-/

Well, I've done some digging of my own, and while I am not quite sure
why this just because a problem, I do see the same behavior, and I do
have a basic idea of what the problem is.  When 'lpc' is in interactive
mode, it calls EditLine so it can do history-processing.  Something in
that will call a routine called cgetset(), with the intention of adding
a capability-database to *termcap* processing.  However, the way these
getcap-routines work, that cgetset() call will also effect printcap
processing.

I have a fix to lpc/lpc.c which adds a call to cgetset(NULL) after the
call to el_source(...), and this fixes the problem you're seeing, and
does not seem to break anything in interactive processing.  I will
commit this to current soon, unless someone knows of a reason I should
not do that...