Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:10:42 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, julian@elischer.org
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, jake@locore.ca, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 exception.s genassym.c machdep.c  mp_machdep.c mpapic.c swtch.s vm_machdep.c src/sys/i386/include cpufunc.h  pcb.h src/sys/i386/isa apic_vector.s clock.c icu_vector.s intr_machdep.c  intr_machdep.h npx.c src/sys/kern ...

At 12:48 PM -0700 2/26/02, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>In Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
>: Consider this a test case.
>: Core is appealled to. The blocking action of JHB's (good) work is
>: doing more damage to the project than good. We need to be able to
>: proceed without waiting for him...
>
>None of that excuses the extreme abuse that Matt has done.  I think
>you are over-stating things here.

The problem is that Matt is trying to commit code, and for a week
or two now he has been on the receiving end of too much abuse.  And
that abuse is not on *technical* merits, where I think we all have
a right to argue with any person, but on vague "there is someone
who is working in this area, so you're not allowed to work in it".

That's OK for a week, it is not OK for six months.  If someone needs
to tie up a major section of code for six months, then there should
be an explicit vote which allows him to do that.  That's how the KSE
stuff worked, for instance.  We made an explicit vote to freeze the
tree for (what was it?) two months or so.  Everyone knew the rules,
and knew why we had agreed to it.  No one has to feel like they are
being trampled on or held up for some vague arbitrary endless amount
of time.

All the effort which is going towards SMP is great to see (so I say,
from the sidelines...).  But work which is actually committed is
easier to deal with, in a practical sense, than work which just
sits out there "being worked on" for months and months.  I do not
want to pick "good guys" and "bad guys" here, but we do have to
clarify what is acceptable practice and what is not acceptable.