Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:01:04 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS snapshots in current

At 2:50 PM -0800 3/28/02, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>	From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
>
>	More useful question: what should I look at for
>	info on using snapshots?
>
>General references are found at:
>
>	http://www.mckusick.com/softdep/index.html
>
>The soft updates paper has a section on snapshots. The
>background fsck paper goes into snapshots (and their
>general usage) in a bit more detail, so is likely to
>be more useful.

Okay, well, I was trying this out and I had something
odd happen.  As I sit here waiting for my PC to return
to life, I'll ask if what I was trying to do something
which would be a BadIdea(tm).

I wanted to use a snapshot to "freeze" the system in
time before doing a large-scale set of changes.  So, I
created a snapshot of /usr.  I then did a 'cvs update'
of /usr/src, and checked how the snapshot worked.  It
seemed to be doing just exactly what I wanted.  I then
got interrupted and forgot about the snapshot.  I may
have also done a reboot, but I'm not sure about that.

Days pass, I come back, do another 'cvs update' of the
latest sources.  I buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel.
So far no problem (note that /usr/obj is on a separate
partition).  I reboot, and go to do an installworld.

It goes merrily along for awhile, and then just stops.
After letting it sit there for about 15 minutes, I
attention out of the buildworld.  It had not used a
lot of cpu time.  so, I tried it again.  it went a
few lines and then stopped again.

I finally decided to just reboot.  The shutdown started,
and then got stuck at 'Writing entropy file'.  I then
hit the power button.  It didn't power off!  I had to
unplug the machine to get it to reboot.

After it came back up, I removed the checkpoint file.
I forget how large it was, but it was pretty large.
Before removing it, I did a 'df -k -i', and /usr had
plenty of spare filespace and spare inodes.  I didn't
know what else I should check for.  By then the system
told me that I had to do an fsck of /usr by hand, so
I've done that, and now have 1500 files in lost+found.

It happens I have an exact duplicate of my current
system in a different set of partitions, so one way or
another I can get the system back to what I need.  But
the main question is: Could my problems have been due to
that snapshot being active when I did the 'installworld'?
I only *meant* it to be there during the 'cvs update',
buildworld, and buildkernel, but I had forgotten it
was there.  It's hard to believe that this was due to
any of the changes made to current in the past week.

And if it is a bad idea, how hard would it be to get it
to fail a little more gracefully?     :-)

Also, if this had worked, I probably would have duplicated
this new system to my backup partitions.  From what I've
read of the paper, I think that would not cause a problem
(other than maybe wasting disk space), because a plain copy
(using pax) wouldn't add the snapshot file to the list of
snapshots in the superblock of the destination partition.
True?