Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:57:41 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 6.0 branching (no longer: HEADS UP: 5.0 Feature Freeze October 16, 2002)

At 11:40 PM -0700 10/11/02, Wes Peters wrote:
>I think we need to discuss when we will branch 6.x.  I think we need
>to wait until we have a 5.x release that is stable enough to consider
>for production workstation usage levels, and hope we may reach that
>point by the 5.2 release.

It is good to explicitly say something about this topic now, so people
don't think a 6.0-current branch is going to happen right away.

That said, the decision of exactly *when* to do the branch can only be
guessed at right now.  Right now we can say that 5.0-release will not
be quite production-quality enough for a new 6.0 branch at that time.
If we find that 5.1-release is production quality, then we should do
the branch then.  If it is not production-quality, then we should wait
until after 5.2-release.  If 5.2 is not production quality, then we
will have to wait some more, no matter what hopes we have for 5.2 as
we sit here talking about it before 5.0-release is even out the door.

We should be clear that the criteria is "5.x is production quality",
and not "when .x reaches .2".  At some point (which might be 5.1) it
will probably be helpful to have an explicit list of what issues need
to be fixed before we can make the new -current branch.

Let me also invoke the popular image of herding cats, and point out
that "the project" can only hold off from making an official branch
for so long before individual developers are going to feel that they
(personally) have to start working on the Next Great Thing, and they
will start doing private branches using their own source repositories.