Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:30:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Thinking about more work on 'patch'

When checking the 'patch' utility while doing the "no newline"
update, I noticed that both OpenBSD and NetBSD have a number
of nice updates to clean up parts of the source code.  I also
noticed that both of them have a version of patch which is
BSD-licensed, apparently because someone got Larry Wall to
re-license one of the early versions of patch [I am a little
vague on the exact details there...].

FreeBSD has the following versions of patch in the src tree:

    src/usr.bin/patch       (entirely moved into the attic)
    src/gnu/usr.bin/patch   (what we are actually using as
                             /usr/bin/patch, it is based on
                             patch 2.1)
    src/contrib/patch       (an attempt to bring in a more
                             recent version of gnu-patch,
                             namely, version 2.5).

What I'd like to do is something like:

Take the patch from OpenBSD or NetBSD, and put it in
src/usr.bin (I think theirs are based on patch 2.0.<x>).
Then add whatever updates the other one has done, and
then add whatever updates we (as freebsd) have done.

The idea is to end up with a bsd-licensed version which has
all the stuff we're used to, along with all of the cleanup
changes done by NetBSD and OpenBSD.  I could also glance at
patch 2.5 and see if there's any particularly attractive
options than it has, and re-implement them (not "copy &
paste them", but rewrite the options to keep a BSD license).

I am in no rush to do this, but does this seem like a
worthwhile thing to do?  I would not want to commit
anything to src/usr.bin/patch until I had a pretty good
start on the work, but on the other hand I don't want to
start on the work if no one would want the end result...

Initially I'd suggest putting it in with 'PROG=bpatch' in
the Makefile (just so it will not install over the patch we
presently use), and only switch it to being 'patch' when we
are comfortable that I have all the pieces in the new version.

Once done, we could then toss both of the other two versions
into the attic.  Is this worth doing?