Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 04:00:49 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: What's the right way to build XFree86-4 now?

At 3:18 AM -0400 7/3/02, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 4:57 PM +0200 6/26/02, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>>c) ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server:
>>
>>    Add the attached patch-gcc31, taken from Motoyuki Konno's post to
>>    <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG> with the following Message-ID:
>>
>>	<200206041243.g54Chxc16331@sakura.mk.bsdclub.org>
>
>I thought I'd pretend that #b worked perfectly, and try this too.
>In my case, I also wanted the matrox drives, so I have
>     export WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER=yes
>
>but that still died with "internal compiler error in failed_reload,
>at reload1.c:5050", while compiling translate.c, while processing
>included file ../../../../extras/Mesa/src/trans_tmp.h.
>
>So, no joy in mudville just yet...

So....

As I mentioned in another thread, dec@freebsd.org had been telling
me that compiles under gcc3 go faster when he sets CPUTIME.  So
just for the fun of it I added CPUTIME=i686 in my /etc/make.conf,
and tried to recompile the XFree86-4-Server.  This time it compiled.
I tried a 'make install', and that also worked.  I started up XDM,
and that also worked.  Not only that, but my machine didn't
instantly reboot when XDM started, which had been happening to me
for the last few days...

[this on a dual-CPU, 650 MHz, Pentium 3 machine.  No gnome, no KDE,
just plain X with twm as the window manager...]

So, mudville is a bit tired, but this is a definite step forward!