Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:37:46 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GNOME 2.12 available for FreeBSD

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:26:52 +0100, Alistair Sutton wrote:

> As far as I understand it, the ports-stable module from Marcuscom is
> there for when the ports tree is in a freeze and is used to hold
> updates that will go into the tree as soon as the freeze ends.
>
> 2.12 is still in the devel tree as it is such a big change and the
> developers are waiting for 6.0 to get branched before integrating it.

Ah... well see, I figured those two things were effectively one in the
same here. The ports tree is "frozen" as far as letting Gnome 2.12 in,
until FreeBSD 6.0 is released.

I guess what I'm trying to get a handle on is whether it's safe for me to
go to 2.12 :) If Marcus feels it works and it's essentially "done", he
typically puts it into the "stable" module on his CVS repository. If 2.12
is still in "devel" that'd make me think it's not quite done cooking and
there's still work to be done. The other thing that makes me nervous is
dependencies to other things in devel that could be in a raw, unstable
state that end up being pulled in too as a result.

Sorry to be so paranoid... this just seems different from past times when
I could just pull in the "stable" module w/ marcusmerge and be done with
it. Seems like this is just another form of "ports freeze" so I'm not
clear on why 2.12 would still be in "devel" if Marcus really thinks it's
ready...