Date:      06 Jan 2000 19:11:30 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Insanity with ports dependencies

Hi all:

I installed 3.4-R only yesterday. I made a minimal installation
and then compiled a whole bunch of programs from ports.

Today it seems that there's something wrong with dependencies.

Whenever I try to install a new port, it checks for a package
that it depends on, and then mistakenly thinks that that package
is not installed. 8-/

Right now I'm recompiling XFree (how much do I regret typing that
"make clean" yesterday!!!) because netscape would not install,
reporting a missing XR11.6 library.

Now I wanted to compile sane. Sure enough... missing gtk-1.2.6...
missing glib12.3.

,----[ Snippet from install output ]
| ===>  Extracting for sane-1.0.1
| >> Checksum OK for sane-1.0.1.tar.gz.
| ===>   sane-1.0.1 depends on executable: gmake - found
| ===>   sane-1.0.1 depends on shared library: gtk12.2 - not found
| ===>    Verifying install for gtk12.2 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk12
| ===>  Extracting for gtk-1.2.6
| >> Checksum OK for gtk+-1.2.6.tar.gz.
| ===>   gtk-1.2.6 depends on executable: libtool - found
| ===>   gtk-1.2.6 depends on shared library: glib12.3 - not found
| ===>    Verifying install for glib12.3 in /usr/ports/devel/glib12
| ===>  Installing for glib-1.2.6
| ===>  glib-1.2.6 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
|       If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
|       this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
|       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of glib-1.2.6
|       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
|       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
`----

While all of those packages already are installed:

,----[ /usr/sbin/pkg_info | egrep 'gtk|glib' ]
| glib-1.2.6          Some useful routines of C programming
| gtk---1.0.3         C++ wrapper for gtk, a x11 graphics library
| gtk-1.2.6           General Toolkit for X11 GUI
`----

What am I to do?

Thanks for any input!