Date:      16 Apr 1999 09:09:09 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap on Irix (overcommiting, etc.)

Mikhail Teterin <mi@misha.cisco.com> writes:

> Sorry. I'm just repeating what Ladavac Marino wrote in
> <55586E7391ACD211B9730000C11002761795EB@r-lmh-wi-100.corpnet.at>:
>
> 	LM: Please note that memory overcommit architectures are a
> 	LM: rather common optimization; FreeBSD is one of them. They
> 	LM: do, however, break the ISO/ANSI C conformance (strictly
> 	LM: speaking).
>
> Since there was no immediate (nor later) rebuttal, I assumed, that
> everyone quietly agreed...

Absolutely not.  It is *definitely* okay for system conditions outside
the realm of the C spec to effect the execution of "conforming"
programs.  Otherwise, having a system shutdown interrupt the program
would be enough to make the system non-conforming.  Heck, the
*existence* of kill(1) and SIGKILL would be enough to make for a
non-conforming C environment.  The system running short on virtual
memory (whether it be by having a user program touch memory it had
previously allocated, or by having a new user log in, or a new
sendmail daemon starting up) fits squarely into that category.

How (and when) you assign backing store to virtual memory is a *very*
interesting topic, but the ISO C compliance issue is a red herring,
even to the most pointlessly pedantic language lawyers.

Be well.