Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:36:43 +0900
From:      Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB ether fails: watchdog timeout

Hi list,

I have an "I/O DATA USB ETTXS" USB ether NIC (aue, Pegasus
II) which fails to work with Toshiba Libretto M3 (notebook)
on FreeBSD 4.2--5.0 (at least).=20

=46rom the reasons described below, I am suspecting if it were
to do with the OHCI controllor on Libretto M3, which is NEC
uPD 9210.

ohci0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> mem 0xffaff000-0xffafffff irq 11 at de=
vice 11.0 on pci0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0
usb0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

The only part that's not working seems to be the transmit
part.  aue driver attaches and ifconfig succeeds, and tcpdump
even captures the packets on the wire.  But once instructed
to send a packet (like ping or dhclient),=20

aue0: watchdog timeout

occurs (but receive side continues normally) and nothing is
sent.  I added printfs to see the usb status code that's
acquired inside aue_watchdog after the call to
usbd_get_xfer_status, it turned out to be USB_NOT_STARTED.
'ifconfig aue0'ing after this timeout shows OACTIVE flag on,
and it never drops until after 'ifconfig aue0 down' is
issued.

And that was about everything I could try in the absence of
any knowledge for USB programming.
Could someone suggest snything to try with this?

TIA.

PS:
This NIC works fine on a 5.0-RELEASE desktop box with a UHCI
host controller:=20

uhci0: <Intel 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) USB controller USB-A>
 port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 11 at device 31.2 on pci0

and also on a 4.7-STABLE desktop box with:

uhci0: <Intel 82801AB (ICH0) USB controller>
 port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 10 at device 31.2 on pci0

USB mice (ums) and USB floppy (umass,da0) work fine with
this Libretto, so the usb subsystem itself is not totally
broken.

One other thing I might mention is that this Libretto
freezes when I try to use pccard and usb together, unless I
route the pccard (ToPic97) interrups via isa bus by:
hw.pcic.intr_path=3D"1"
hw.pcic.irq=3D"0"

May be it is so because both pcic and ohci grabs irq 11 if
the pcic is pci routed where as in polling and isa routing
mode, ed0 that's plugged into the PCCard slot grabs irq3 and
thus there's no conflict.  BIOS tells me that pci devices
all grab irq11 and is not configurable to anything else.
Most of the internal devices were disabled inside the BIOS
to make things simple during the test.

FWIW, booting 5.0-RELEASE on this machine fails to find ata
ad0 disk at the very last step just before the login prompt,
unless acpi is disabled.
--=20
Hiroharu Tamaru.