Date:      28 Feb 2002 12:25:12 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015338873.4aa803@mired.org>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making suggestions

"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015338873.4aa803@mired.org> writes:

> You know, I remember seeing that reply. I don't remember an
> alternative path being suggested, though. If that's really true, the
> "team" ought to take "change-request" out of the list of descriptions
> of a PR.

I'm afraid that I was probably the guilty reply-er.  Not long before
that a committer told me that he'd rather see the code changed than
explain some "feature" in the man page I had PR'd.  I explained why I
had written the PR on the man page rather than the program:  "... I
assume that no-patch design enhancement PRs are generally unwelcome and
are likely to be a waste of my and others' time."  He replied "Indeed."
It's clear now that I took his reply too seriously.  (I hope.)  Sorry.

I now notice (thanks Mike) that there is not only a "change-request" in
the send-pr program, but that there is a "wish" on
http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html form.  (I wrote a PR on the
differing options of the two methods, but someone considered it a
"feature").

> I'd say if you have a patch or the description is lengthy, post it as
> a pr, then start a discussion of it on the appropriate list - which
> will never be here. If the description is short, just start the
> discussion. But see the FAQ entry about bikesheds.

I'm glad to corrected on this issue and to hear that there is a special
place for suggestions outside the lists.