Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:22:11 -0600
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   A Modem Question

Does anyone know of 1) a modem command, and/or 2) a modem, that can tell if
another phone is off hook on the line before attempting to place an
outgoing call?

I'm thinking (don't tell me, I know that's dangerous) about automating my
PPP connection and don't care to have the modem interupt any call already
using the line. I *think* most modems can go off hook and then stop upon
failure to detect a dial tone but I'd like to avoid that "click" on any
call in process.

On another topic, the generic PC box I just put together to host FreeBSD
has an indention in the front for the Mom & Pop PC store to put their logo.
I was thinking a little red face needs to go there but didn't find one the
right size in the Walnut Creek catalog that just arrived. Is there a source
of little red BSD daemon stickers? If not, why not?

Thanks,

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
                -- Thomas Edison