Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:32:42 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kalio)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>, Hordur <hordur@islandia.is>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why freeBSD instead of Linux?

At 17:35 21/8/95, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>       Well i've never run freebsd or linux on heavly loaded machines so
>>I can't judge either system, can you give some examples where linux has
>>just failed when heavly loaded.

I started September 1994 with Linux server having about 2000 user accounts
(66MHz 486DX2, 32M RAM, 2G SSCI disk). I has max 30 simultaneous users.

I had a lot of problems and had to upgrade the kernel every week trying to
find stable one. The problems seemed to be in telnet and inetd and RAM
usage/swap. After moving from smail to sendmail and running it standalone,
limiting user RAM to 4MB and installing kernel 1.1.88 the system has been
stable. I do not know if FreeBSD had been any better one year ago. Does
someone know the version of FreeBSD one year ago?

This september I will start with a new FreeBSD server. Now P90 + 64MB RAM +
2GB disk. It has shadow passwd and I feel it is more ready for server on
many other points also.

Some FreeBSD users agree that FreeBSD is more stable.

On desktop PC maybe Linux is more atractive than FreeBSD ... I do not know.

Some bits:
FreeBSD fdisk is really bad. If you add one disk, it is a pain.
Linux fdisk is good, it's cfdisk even easier to use. No disklabel needed to
edit.
Linux NFS server is slow.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !