Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 15:46:16 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

>My take:  Changing a debugging flag should have minimal impact on the
>install base of FreeBSD.  Merging of the syntax (if not the actual
>code) of the install programs is a good thing for the BSD community in
>general, and the FreeBSD speficially.  It should be done, and should
>cause few, if any, problems.
>
>Comments?

I, personally, agree. I think that it is a serious mistake for the
community to have multiple "local" definitions of a "standard".

The same philosophy SHOULD apply to all of the common commands. They need
to behave in the same way on each platform. This is particularly true of
anything used to do system builds because cross-platform compatability is
important in porting to new systems.

Just look at the mess that we have with PC interface cards :-)