Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:30:52 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd supported

At 5:06 PM +0900 3/4/99, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>Dru wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone seen this yet?
>>
>> http://www.windowstechedge.com/wte-1999-03/wte-03-vmware.html?0301
>>
>> Interesting concept.  Even more interesting that FreeBSd is one of the
>> supported operating systems.  Think of the ramifications: users can compare
>> FreeBSD to 7 other operating systems and decide for themselves.
>
> Innovative? As in, compared to pre-vm/360 machines???

Innovative, as in every time I have asked about this in the past, people
have said that it was not possible to do this on the Intel chipsets.
IBM hardware was designed to make this doable at near native-speeds,
but (I have been told in the past) Intel's instruction set would have
to be simulated to get it done right.

The innovation isn't the "VM" idea, it's getting it to work on this
particular hardware.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute