Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:22:47 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install trick

At 6:33 PM -0700 1999/10/5, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Which isn't an option unless you dedicate a partition for /tmp
> which is pretty wasteful imo.

	Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something here, but isn't
having /tmp on the root filesystem just inviting a denial-of-service
attack on yourself?  It's bad enough when programs crap out when /tmp
is full and they can't create the temporary files they demand (vi
leaps to mind), but when you fill up the root filesystem and the
whole machine falls over, that seems to be a really bad situation
that everyone would want to avoid at virtually all costs.

	It was my understanding that it was standard recommended practice
practice pretty much across the board to create the following
separate filesystems:

		/
		/tmp (perhaps an mfs, perhaps softupdates, or whatever)
		/usr
		/var
		/var/tmp
		/home (or wherever you're going to store user directories)

	And that most people also then created a separate filesystem for
/usr/local or /opt, or wherever they're going to store the additional
system programs that they're going to be adding.

	This also allows you to do nice security things such as mounting
/tmp, /var, /var/tmp nosuid, etc....

	Is there something fundamental I'm missing here?  I thought that
this sort of thing was taught in SysAdmin 101....

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.