Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:55:22 -0800
From:      info@imaginet.ca
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Starting an application at boot up.

I am trying to figure out how a particular application is launched at
boot up. My question is not how to do it, but how someone else
managed to do it on my FreeBSD box for me.

The application is the RealVideo server. It is installed and works
fine. I just cannot see how they got it automatically start at boot
up.

The application is called 'pnserver'. To start it manually, I would
use the following command...

/usr/local/pnserver/bin/pnserver /usr/local/pnserver/server.cfg

... the running process looks like this...

ps -wuax
.
354  0.0  1.4  1908  868  ??  Ss   24Oct99   18:24.56
/usr/local/pnserver/bin/pnserver /usr/local/pnserver/server.cfg
.

I have grep'd for pnserver in every file in my /etc directory but
there is no indication that there is any  reference to the pnserver
or ANYTHING remotely related, in any file!

I assumed it would be in a rc.* file (most probably, rc.local), but
there is no trace of anything related in there.

Is there some other way that applications are automatically launched?

Thanks,
Bob