Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:24:41 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   More benchmarking stuff...

Folks,

	In addition to the vinum vs. DPT SmartRAID IV benchmarking that I
had done, I've also started doing filesystem/OS-level benchmarking
with a program called "postmark" that Network Appliance wrote to show
off the performance of their NetApp Filers.

	See <http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3022.html>; for the paper
from NetApp that shows the performance of their filers against
various other systems, and it also includes a link to the page where
you can get the source code.  The source code compiled and is running
just fine for me under FreeBSD 3.3-RC.  Not a single hitch.

	Their best results on an F630 with 1000 files and 50,000
transactions were 253 transactions per second, 799.91 KBytes/sec
read, and 817.89 KBytes/sec written.

	I just ran this same test on an old PPro 200Mhz system with 128MB
of RAM and softupdates on a Western Digital Enterprise 4.5GB hard
drive.  I got 282 transactions per second, 869.09 KBytes read per
second, and 888.63 KBytes written per second!  This ancient machine
with a single slow hard drive, but running FreeBSD 3.3-RC with
softupdates beats their *expensive* NFS file server!!!

	I'm going to run this on some other machines, including the same
machine and disk without softupdates, FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE on a
dual-processor PIII @ 450Mhz without softupdates on both the single
Western Digital boot disk and on the external DPT SmartRAID IV
striped array of four IBM 10kRPM UltraStar 9LZX drives, a single
processor Pentium III @ 450Mhz running Linux 2.9 on the internal hard
drive and on the external DPT SmartRAID V controlled striped array of
five Quantum Fireball 7200RPM 9GB drives (both mounted async and
sync), and any other machines I can get my hands on.  I think this is
going to be fun!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.