Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 02:12:44 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Visigoth <visigoth@telemere.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT revision....(broken drivers in -STABLE)

At 10:18 PM -0400 2000/8/23, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>  I don't remember seeing a verbose boot log posted so I can't really say
>  whats wrong.  There is no difference b/t the -CURRENT and 4-STABLE
>  versions of dpt_pci.c so I'm not sure what could be causing the
>  problem.  Of course it may be that the cards don't work in -CURRENT
>  either.

	I'm curious -- what kinds of cards are supported by this routine?
Does this include the DPT SmartRAID V, as well as the older SmartRAID
IV?  I've got an anonymous ftp server I need to rebuild -- it had
previously been running Slackware Linux, but as the kernel got
updated, the source for the driver didn't, so I scrapped it and am
rebuilding with FreeBSD.

	Anyway, my thought was actually to scrap the DPT card (because it
was my understanding that the FreeBSD drivers for the SmartRAID V
were only "beta" quality), and simply use vinum instead.  However, if
this card is better supported than I first thought, then I'll be glad
to keep it.  ;-)

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium