Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:32:35 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   Weird responses to queso on broadcast address...

Folks,

	I had just done some pings of the broadcast address on one of our
networks (so that I could easily see the MAC addresses of all the
responding hosts), and decided that it might be interesting to try
the same sort of thing with queso.

	However, I got some strange stuff logged in /var/log/messages.
In particular, it looks like the machine thinks it saw a large number
of incoming connections from the specified port on the broadcast
address, addressed to a port on the local IP address on which there
was not a process listening.

	For example, I did[0]:

		$ queso -p 22 123.45.67.63

	And in /var/log/messages, I saw stuff like:

Aug  9 13:42:10 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10428 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:42:10 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10430 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:42:35 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10424 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:42:35 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10428 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:42:35 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10430 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:43:26 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10424 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:43:26 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10428 from 123.45.67.63:22
Aug  9 13:43:26 sample /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10430 from 123.45.67.63:22

	Now, it seems to me that these connections should have been
detected as duplicates from a variety of addresses, the same way that
ping does when you ping the broadcast address.  Therefore, I could
have seen a lot of messages like "Connection attempt to TCP
123.45.67.42:10424" but with a variety of different source addresses.
Unfortunately, this is not what I saw.

	Frankly, this is so bizarre that I don't have even the slightest
clue as to how I'd go about trying to look something like this on the
web pages or in the archives of the mailing list.  If you've got any
pointers on what keywords I could use for doing that, or any
suggested documentation I should read, I would greatly appreciate
your letting me know.

	Thanks!

[0] The hostname and CIDR block /24 network address portions of the
/26 network in question have been changed to protect the guilty.  ;-)

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium