Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:18:26 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: u3g network problem

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Patrick Lamaiziere
<patfbsd@davenulle.org> wrote:
> (8-STABLE/i386)
>
> Hi,
>
> I've got some troubles with a 3G connection. I don't know which things
> I should check to debug this:
>
> I use ppp to connect and it works fine. But after a while (not a long
> time), I don't have any reply to DNS requests, as far I can see with
> wireshark...

What are you using to dial to your 3g network? (I use wvdial, and love it)

I've seen this happen on my 3g network as well. It seems that the ISP
randomly updates the DNS to a broken one. So write down the DNSs when
it's actually working (cat /etc/resolv.conf) and make yourself a
little script that updates them back to the working DNSs here is mine
for example (adjust to your working DNSs):

# cat ./dnsdigitel

#!/bin/sh
echo "nameserver 204.59.152.208" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 57.73.127.195" >> /etc/resolv.conf

So when it stops resolving I just ./dnsdigitel and that's it. Of
course, this could be easily automated, etc. but it's a quick fix to
your problem. Now, the interesting this is that your ISP does exactly
the same as my ISP, it changes the DNS randomly to non-working ones,
curious.

Best,
Alejandro Imass