Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2019 22:15:19 +0000
From:      Lorenzo Salvadore <phascolarctos@protonmail.ch>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: any way asm people could contribute?

On Thursday 14 February 2019 22:16, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.d=
e> wrote:

> On 2019-02-10, Lorenzo Salvadore via freebsd-questions freebsd-questions@=
freebsd.org wrote:

> > Assembly is most often used for drivers:
>
> It is not. I don't know where you got that bizarre idea.
>
> Offhand, I'd say the biggest (as in lines of code) remaining use
> of assembly language are optimized implementations of cryptographic
> algorithms. However, the more popular the platform, the fewer gaps
> there are to fill.
>
> Oh, and a general piece of sad wisdom I have learned over the last
> twenty years: If somebody needs to ask how they can contribute,
> they can't.

I made my idea that Assembly is often used for drivers from a bit of experi=
ence
and documents such as this one:
http://brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDevIndex.html
It is a tutorial for starting developing an OS. There is much of Assembly a=
nd C, but
the C that is in there really is a sort of high-level Assembly: of course, =
as you do not
have any OS yet, you do not have any C standard library to link with yet.
I also happened to write some lines for a microcontroller: it was a pretty =
short work,
it would have been silly in this case to waste time using an existent C com=
piler (if any)
or to develop in "C as high-level Assembly".
I talked with other people who also used Assembly for programming microproc=
essors.
Those web pages also claim Assembly is used for drivers:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/791541
https://www.codeproject.com/articles/89460/why-learn-assembly-language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language#Current_usage

Now, if your objection was about the words "most often", I might indeed be =
wrong:
I never made a statistical research on the topic and my impression might in=
deed
be wrong.

About your last lines (the "general piece of sad wisdom"), I disagree. I wo=
uld rather say
that if somebody needs to ask how they can contribute, they can't *yet*: th=
at's why they
are asking! If they want to contribute but lacks knowledge, they can learn.=
 I do agree
that some people that ask such questions ask them because they do not see t=
hey are
not ready (yet) to contribute, but it is not the rule and it does not preve=
nt them to
improve their skills: what can prevent some of them is the "if you need to =
ask you can't"
answer; on the other hand what can help them is point them to good learning=
 material.

Lorenzo Salvadore.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?v_W7XGpyrMxtFm16tC8Nvl1WByLrRexDhjHPI62KdJWBu0bcxmClgVHjTr6I1Oy0hI1M9_kH3wxkJL_iLA5V9WycEPK9JN0nn13S334AENc=>