Date:      31 Oct 2000 14:20:43 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libfetch fetch.3

 * From: Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>

 * 	Do you think you could throw in a blurb about FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-p
 * as well? The "How do I make my ports download in passive mode
 * too?" question gets asked a lot on -questions.

The answer to that is "set FTP_PASSIVE_MODE in /etc/login.conf".  That
is the default, and the system administrator should be reprimanded if
he took it out when the machine is behind a firewall.

For older installations that started out without FTP_PASSIVE_MODE in
/etc/login.conf, the sysadmin also should be chastized for not using
mergemaster.  (But you already knew that. :)

FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS was supposed to be a per-port variable to deal with
oddball sites or on-standard fetch programs, and shouldn't be set in
global Makefiles.

Satoshi