Date:      28 Aug 2000 18:19:48 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH

 * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>

 * PROPOSAL FOR PACKAGE NAMING CONVENTIONS

 * The proposal is that we adopt two new version numbers: PORTREVISION
 * and PORTEPOCH which are used to construct the package name as follows:
 *
 * ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}[_${PORTREVISION}][:${PORTEPOCH}]

I don't know about other shells, but bash seems to think ':' is a
special character (it quotes ':' with a '\' when it does filename
completion).  It probably doesn't mean anything, but there's no need
to take chances, can we use another symbol for delimiting
${PORTEPOCH}?

 * 1) PORTREVISION
 *
 * The PORTREVISION variable is a monotonically increasing value which is
 * reset to 0 with every increase of PORTVERSION (i.e. every time a new
 * official vendor release is made), and appended to the package name if
 * non-zero. PORTREVISION is increased each time a change is made to the
 * FreeBSD port which significantly affects the content or stucture of
 * the derived package.

 * 2) PORTEPOCH
 *
 * From time to time a software vendor or FreeBSD porter will do
 * something silly and release a version of their software which is
 * actually numerically less than the previous version. An example of
 * this is a port which goes from foo-20000801 to foo-1.0 (the former
 * will be incorrectly treated as a newer version since 20000801 is a
 * numerically greater value than 1).

Yes, I think these two sound fine.  However, I have a little concern,
in that it will further fragment the /var/db/pkg directory and make it
harder to people to manage it.

For instance, when a port with a lot of dependents, say, jpeg-6b, is
updated to jpeg-6b_1, the old dependency information will remain in
/var/db/pkg/jpeg-6b/+REQUIRED_BY and be left behind when jpeg-6b_1 is
installed, as there is no check for jpeg-6b when jpeg-6b_1 is added.

This is of course not a problem of this proposal, just a manifest of
an old problem that could be triggerred with having more different
versions in the user's machine.  I need someone to work with me on the
pkg_* tools so we'll have better upgrade support, any takers?

Satoshi